Every year for the past three seasons, CKA anglers compete to be invited to the KBF National Championship. Some qualify by finishing in the top 5 of CKA’s AOY standings while others battle on-line, at KBF Trail events and at regional KBF Open tournaments.
We take many roads but we have one destination: Kentucky Lake.
And so it is that in March of every year our qualified anglers begin a new kayak fishing season by fishing for two days against a large field of nation’s top kayak anglers. The stakes are high, the days are long, but the rewards are many. Two CKA anglers (Cory Dreyer and Rick Rowland), came within inches of bringing the trophy to North Carolina in 2017, placing 5th and 3rd, respectively, and Shelly Efird and Jim Lor nearly did the same in 2016 (placing 5th and 7th). In sum, CKA has had two anglers in the top 10 every year. Will this be the breakthrough event we are all waiting for?
As anglers begin the journey to Tennessee, the CKA tournament staff, our sponsors friends and fellow anglers wish this season’s competitors the best of luck!
Looking ahead, remember also that CKA will host 2 KBF Trail events in 2018 (Harris in early June and Gate City Classic in September), and we will also help Boonedox with their Trail event at High Rock in April. A KBF Open is scheduled for Santee Cooper in early May – all are National Championship qualifier events.
The TourneyX profiles of qualified CKA anglers headed to Nationals are listed below. And don’t forget to follow live tournament results at this link on March 23-24: https://tourneyx.com/app/tourney/2018-kbf-national-championship
Drew Blair Bob Dainton Jamie Denison Cory Dreyer Shelly Efird Brian Falbe Matt Hawj
Brandon Jessup Calvin Keller Jim Lor Shoua Lor Jacob Miles Joshua Miles Aaron Miller
Arlie Minton Nathan Naturile Eric Nelson Ralph Nolan Ed Parrish Ricky Rowland
Marcus Smith Joey Sullivan Austin Vang Henry Veggian Tommy Xiong Melvin Yang
As we announced a few months ago, CKA will honor the Rookie of the Year in 2018. This award will go to the highest ranked 1st year angler in the series based on the aggregate of his or her 4 best event scores. In addition to other prizes the CKA 2018 Rookie of the Year will also receive an invite to the 2-day Tournament of Champions in mid-October.
We were very excited to see so many 1st time anglers sign up for the tournament at Hyco. It was great to meet so many new people interested in the sport and the CKA series. We hope to see more new folks in the mix as the season unfolds, too.
We will periodically update and publish the ROY standings. Here are the current Rookie Of The Year standings after Hyco. If you had a tough 1st event, remember that if you fish 5 events your bottom score is automatically dropped!
We’ll see you at Lake Hickory on March 31st!
|Graham Reay ( R )
|Mark Wilkins ( R )
|John Stone ( R )
|Anthony Brinkley ( R )
|Mike Wimmer ( R )
|Keith McGee ( R )
|Terry Wheeler Jr ( R )
|Bernie Garrett ( R )
|Ker Xiong ( R )
|Ryan Freeman ( R )
|Lee Payne ( R )
|Brandon Bertovich ( R )
|Travis Bevill ( R )
|James Blackburn ( R )
|Brad Clayton ( R )
|Eric Garcia-Ochoa ( R )
|Kayla Ingram ( R )
|Matt Kaufmann ( R )
|Josh Lewis ( R )
|Chris Morris ( R )
|JEREMY SMITH ( R )
|Tony Tant ( R )
|David Truban ( R )
CKA Tournament #2
March 31, 2018
Welcome anglers to the 2nd CKA tournament of the 2018 season and thanks again to all who participated at Lake Hyco last month!
Our 2nd tournament of the season will be held on March 31st on Lake Hickory, a 4200 acre lake on the Catawba River chain. Hickory proved to be a surprise last season when we fished it for the first time on our tournament trail. The lake gave up several large limits during the post-spawn period and many anglers expressed an interest in fishing it again. So let’s see how it fishes during the pre-spawn/early spawn phase of the season. Let’s also see if CKA Tournament Director Wayne Butler – the only CKA staff member to ever win a single angler event – can defend his Hickory crown from last season or top the 58.5” limit he posted!
- This is a Multi Launch event (the 5 ramps listed below are the only legal launches).
- Anglers are to remain within 30 yards of the launch area prior to the 6:45am start time. Anglers may have kayaks in the water but will not be permitted to leave early to get to fishing areas.
- Blank identifiers will be available for print approximately one week prior to the event (we recommend printing a few extras).
- Unique identifier CODE will be released Friday 3/30 after 9:00pm EST. We will provide instructions at that time how to populate the identifier.
- TourneyX sign up will be cutoff on Friday 3/30 at 10:00pm EST.
- This will be the season’s first multi-launch event, so budget time for travel from your launch to check in. Remember you must be present at the Wittenburg check in by 3:15 pm.
- Photographs will not be uploaded after that time, manually or otherwise.
TourneyX Sign Up: https://tourneyx.com/app/tourney/cka-2018-event-2-lake-hickory
||$50.00 Entry (includes H.O.W, TourneyX, Big Fish fees)
||March 31st 2018
||3 fish (8” minimum). Hawg Trough measure required.
|Check in/Photo upload ends
||Check in Address: Wittenburg Landing 193-229 Wildlife Access Rd. Hickory, NC 28601
5450 Hurricane Hill Road
Granite Falls, NC 28630
5682 Rocky Mount Rd
Granite Falls, NC 28630
3. Wittenburg Landing
175 Wildlife Access Rd
Hickory, NC 28601
4. Dusty Ridge
508 Dusty Ridge Access Rd
Taylorsville, NC 28681
1874 Claude Rd
Claremont, NC 28610
While our Lake Hickory event (March 31) is next on the Trail schedule, the CKA Directors are always looking at opportunities for anglers to participate in additional events. This year we are excited to announce that we have paired with Kayak Bass Series (KBS) to offer (1) live event that will coincide with the CKA Event at High Rock Lake in April and (6) online events throughout 2018. If you pay the membership fee (not required for participation), you can enter the KBS AOY standings for the chance to fish the year end KBS Classic on the infamous Lake Fork in Texas.
- KBS events will be judged using TourneyX and you can cross submit CKA fish at High Rock to the KBS board
- Online events are $25 and the High Rock Live Event is $50.
- There is a membership fee of $50 if you choose to compete for the Classic invite but it is not required.
- AOY Score will consist of one KBS Qualifying event and your best 3 Online events (Membership Required).
- Sign Up for events can be found at https://tourneyx.com/app/category/(kbs)-kayak-bass-series/
- 3/24 – ONLINE #1 SPRING BASS BLUES (KBF National Contenders can also participate)
- 4/7 – ONLINE #2 BLOOMING APRIL BASS
- 4/14 – LIVE EVENT / HIGH ROCK LAKE (this is concurrent with the CKA event)
- 5/5 – ONLINE #3 SIZE IS EVERYTHING
- 5/26 – ONLINE #4 HOT SUMMER BASS
- 8/11 – ONLINE #5 ONE PLUS ONE = TWO
- 9/8 – ONLINE #6 BIG AND SMALL
Remember that Manley Fishing, a company affiliated with KBS, has also provided eight certificates for rods for us to give away at each CKA Event this season, so please sign up and thank them for their generosity! For more info, see the links below:
Looking ahead, our anglers are preparing for the KBF National Championship and pre-fishing for CKA on Lake Hickory. We will post more on these events soon.
Larry, Henry, Wayne, Ralph and Ron