You’ve heard the stories of the huge bass and limits that CKA anglers catch at Kentucky Lake. You’ve seen the photos of CKA anglers with big checks, new kayaks and other prizes.
You’ve also heard of the pounding waves, brutal weather patterns and exhausting 20 hour days we endure to compete at the KBF National Championship every season.
This year, it’s going to be on television.
Tune in tomorrow to watch the KBF National Championship special on the Sportsman Channel (Saturday, June 23rd 9 pm) to watch the all-new KBF 1 hour special. It will be shown again also on Sunday and Wednesday.
For a complete schedule and also to watch the trailer featuring CKA anglers Cory Dreyer and Jamie Denison, click here:
As we gear up to compete on Harris this coming Saturday, we want to inform you of an opportunity to compete for additional prize money. KBF runs a Big Bass Brawl at every major Trail and Open event. Here is how it works:
- Sign up at the KBF store for the Harris Trail Big Bass Brawl (see link below)
- The biggest bass posted every hour wins $50 for the event.
- $500 goes to the angler with the biggest bass in the tournament.
- Up to $950 in Big bass money may be paid out over the course of the event
The cost to sign up is only $25. If you do not sign up, you are not eligible. Register at this link:
CKA Tournament 4
Scott Kerr Lake, NC
May 12, 2018
Advance notice: please read the info below the paragraphs carefully!
Kerr Scott is another new lake to the CKA Trail. There is a story as to how it was chosen. While debating lakes for the 2018 season, the CKA directors reached a deadlock over a May date and lake. Rather than concede, one of us chose a random lake from a map, a lake he had never heard of, fished or seen in his life. One of his opponents then said, “you know, that’s a great lake. That could work out.” Therefore, all the usual factors for lake selection went out the window. We did not choose this lake based on popularity or season, angler feedback or another trail’s schedule or for any reason at all. It was random.
In sum, 3 of the first 4 lakes of the 2018 CKA season (Hyco, High Rock, and Scott Kerr) were new to our series and the 4th (Hickory) is a recent addition. We set out to shake everyone out of their comfort zone. The result we hoped for has come to pass: attendance is far outpacing 2017 and this year’s AOY standings are more competitive, making for wide open AOY and ROY races.
Scott Kerr is located in the northwest Piedmont, near Wilkesboro. It is one of 4 Piedmont lakes run by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. There will be (7) launches eligible listed below. There is also camping and rental cabins, which can be found at this link.
- Anglers will sign up through TourneyX at https://tourneyx.com/app/tourney/cka-tournament-event-4-w.kerr-scott-reservoir . You will not pay through Tourneyx. The Entry Fee for this event will be paid at the Dam Site Park morning sign in between 5:00am -5:45am. Anglers will leave after a brief Captains Meeting to reach their ramps.
- Anglers are to remain within 30 yards of a launch area prior to the 6:15am start time. Anglers may have kayaks in the water but will not be permitted to leave early to get to fishing areas.
- Blank identifiers will be available on TourneyX approximately one week prior to the event (we recommend printing a few extras).
- Unique identifier CODES will be released Friday 5/11 at 8:00pm EST on the CKA social media (Facebook and Twitter). We will provide instructions at that time for how to populate the identifier.
- TourneyX sign up will be cutoff on Friday 5/11 at 11:00pm EST.
- Budget time for travel from your launch to check in.
- Remember you must be present at check in no later than 2:45 pm. If you need help with or have issues uploading your fish, please make an attempt to be at the Check-In Area early.
- ALL ANGLERS ARE REQUIRED TO SIGN IN AT THE CHECK IN SITE (DAM SITE PARK) BY 2:45PM. IF YOUR NAME IS NOT ON THE SHEET, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR FISH AND SCORE ONLY 20 POINTS TOWARDS AOY.
Read more “CKA Tournament 4: Kerr Scott Lake”
Every year for the past three seasons, CKA anglers compete to be invited to the KBF National Championship. Some qualify by finishing in the top 5 of CKA’s AOY standings while others battle on-line, at KBF Trail events and at regional KBF Open tournaments.
We take many roads but we have one destination: Kentucky Lake.
And so it is that in March of every year our qualified anglers begin a new kayak fishing season by fishing for two days against a large field of nation’s top kayak anglers. The stakes are high, the days are long, but the rewards are many. Two CKA anglers (Cory Dreyer and Rick Rowland), came within inches of bringing the trophy to North Carolina in 2017, placing 5th and 3rd, respectively, and Shelly Efird and Jim Lor nearly did the same in 2016 (placing 5th and 7th). In sum, CKA has had two anglers in the top 10 every year. Will this be the breakthrough event we are all waiting for?
As anglers begin the journey to Tennessee, the CKA tournament staff, our sponsors friends and fellow anglers wish this season’s competitors the best of luck!
Looking ahead, remember also that CKA will host 2 KBF Trail events in 2018 (Harris in early June and Gate City Classic in September), and we will also help Boonedox with their Trail event at High Rock in April. A KBF Open is scheduled for Santee Cooper in early May – all are National Championship qualifier events.
The TourneyX profiles of qualified CKA anglers headed to Nationals are listed below. And don’t forget to follow live tournament results at this link on March 23-24: https://tourneyx.com/app/tourney/2018-kbf-national-championship
Drew Blair Bob Dainton Jamie Denison Cory Dreyer Shelly Efird Brian Falbe Matt Hawj
Brandon Jessup Calvin Keller Jim Lor Shoua Lor Jacob Miles Joshua Miles Aaron Miller
Arlie Minton Nathan Naturile Eric Nelson Ralph Nolan Ed Parrish Ricky Rowland
Marcus Smith Joey Sullivan Austin Vang Henry Veggian Tommy Xiong Melvin Yang
CKA Tournament #2
March 31, 2018
Welcome anglers to the 2nd CKA tournament of the 2018 season and thanks again to all who participated at Lake Hyco last month!
Our 2nd tournament of the season will be held on March 31st on Lake Hickory, a 4200 acre lake on the Catawba River chain. Hickory proved to be a surprise last season when we fished it for the first time on our tournament trail. The lake gave up several large limits during the post-spawn period and many anglers expressed an interest in fishing it again. So let’s see how it fishes during the pre-spawn/early spawn phase of the season. Let’s also see if CKA Tournament Director Wayne Butler – the only CKA staff member to ever win a single angler event – can defend his Hickory crown from last season or top the 58.5” limit he posted!
- This is a Multi Launch event (the 5 ramps listed below are the only legal launches).
- Anglers are to remain within 30 yards of the launch area prior to the 6:45am start time. Anglers may have kayaks in the water but will not be permitted to leave early to get to fishing areas.
- Blank identifiers will be available for print approximately one week prior to the event (we recommend printing a few extras).
- Unique identifier CODE will be released Friday 3/30 after 9:00pm EST. We will provide instructions at that time how to populate the identifier.
- TourneyX sign up will be cutoff on Friday 3/30 at 10:00pm EST.
- This will be the season’s first multi-launch event, so budget time for travel from your launch to check in. Remember you must be present at the Wittenburg check in by 3:15 pm.
- Photographs will not be uploaded after that time, manually or otherwise.
TourneyX Sign Up: https://tourneyx.com/app/tourney/cka-2018-event-2-lake-hickory
||$50.00 Entry (includes H.O.W, TourneyX, Big Fish fees)
||March 31st 2018
||3 fish (8” minimum). Hawg Trough measure required.
|Check in/Photo upload ends
||Check in Address: Wittenburg Landing 193-229 Wildlife Access Rd. Hickory, NC 28601
5450 Hurricane Hill Road
Granite Falls, NC 28630
5682 Rocky Mount Rd
Granite Falls, NC 28630
3. Wittenburg Landing
175 Wildlife Access Rd
Hickory, NC 28601
4. Dusty Ridge
508 Dusty Ridge Access Rd
Taylorsville, NC 28681
1874 Claude Rd
Claremont, NC 28610