As we announced a few months ago, CKA will honor the Rookie of the Year in 2018. This award will go to the highest ranked 1st year angler in the series based on the aggregate of his or her 4 best event scores. In addition to other prizes the CKA 2018 Rookie of the Year will also receive an invite to the 2-day Tournament of Champions in mid-October.
We were very excited to see so many 1st time anglers sign up for the tournament at Hyco. It was great to meet so many new people interested in the sport and the CKA series. We hope to see more new folks in the mix as the season unfolds, too.
We will periodically update and publish the ROY standings. Here are the current Rookie Of The Year standings after Hyco. If you had a tough 1st event, remember that if you fish 5 events your bottom score is automatically dropped!
We’ll see you at Lake Hickory on March 31st!
|Graham Reay ( R )
|Mark Wilkins ( R )
|John Stone ( R )
|Anthony Brinkley ( R )
|Mike Wimmer ( R )
|Keith McGee ( R )
|Terry Wheeler Jr ( R )
|Bernie Garrett ( R )
|Ker Xiong ( R )
|Ryan Freeman ( R )
|Lee Payne ( R )
|Brandon Bertovich ( R )
|Travis Bevill ( R )
|James Blackburn ( R )
|Brad Clayton ( R )
|Eric Garcia-Ochoa ( R )
|Kayla Ingram ( R )
|Matt Kaufmann ( R )
|Josh Lewis ( R )
|Chris Morris ( R )
|JEREMY SMITH ( R )
|Tony Tant ( R )
|David Truban ( R )
While our Lake Hickory event (March 31) is next on the Trail schedule, the CKA Directors are always looking at opportunities for anglers to participate in additional events. This year we are excited to announce that we have paired with Kayak Bass Series (KBS) to offer (1) live event that will coincide with the CKA Event at High Rock Lake in April and (6) online events throughout 2018. If you pay the membership fee (not required for participation), you can enter the KBS AOY standings for the chance to fish the year end KBS Classic on the infamous Lake Fork in Texas.
- KBS events will be judged using TourneyX and you can cross submit CKA fish at High Rock to the KBS board
- Online events are $25 and the High Rock Live Event is $50.
- There is a membership fee of $50 if you choose to compete for the Classic invite but it is not required.
- AOY Score will consist of one KBS Qualifying event and your best 3 Online events (Membership Required).
- Sign Up for events can be found at https://tourneyx.com/app/category/(kbs)-kayak-bass-series/
- 3/24 – ONLINE #1 SPRING BASS BLUES (KBF National Contenders can also participate)
- 4/7 – ONLINE #2 BLOOMING APRIL BASS
- 4/14 – LIVE EVENT / HIGH ROCK LAKE (this is concurrent with the CKA event)
- 5/5 – ONLINE #3 SIZE IS EVERYTHING
- 5/26 – ONLINE #4 HOT SUMMER BASS
- 8/11 – ONLINE #5 ONE PLUS ONE = TWO
- 9/8 – ONLINE #6 BIG AND SMALL
Remember that Manley Fishing, a company affiliated with KBS, has also provided eight certificates for rods for us to give away at each CKA Event this season, so please sign up and thank them for their generosity! For more info, see the links below:
Looking ahead, our anglers are preparing for the KBF National Championship and pre-fishing for CKA on Lake Hickory. We will post more on these events soon.
Larry, Henry, Wayne, Ralph and Ron
February 2018 CKA Newsletter
With the CKA tournament season ready to begin, anglers are preparing gear, shaking off paddling rust and pre-fishing water. It’s been a long winter and we’re all ready to fish!
Please read this post, which reviews important rules changes.
Working together with Kayak Bass Fishing, our tournament directors reviewed and amended CKA rules. There are some very important rule changes to review and adopt. The following is a summary of the more important changes:
- Do not place your identifier anywhere on the fish. This is because between hands and ID’s it was becoming too difficult to see submitted fish. Our judges need to see as much of each fish as possible so as to identify unique markings. Therefore, if you place your ID on the fish, the photo will be denied. There are no exceptions. Place the ID on your wrist, or near the fish/board, but not over the fish.
- CKA follows KBF rules, but makes a few exceptions (for example, we do not allow motors at CKA only events, but permit them at KBF Trail events we host). This year, KBF adopted a 12” minimum size. CKA did NOT adopt that rule. Our minimum size remains the same at 8”.
- Deductions have been standardized and simplified. A fish with a mouth open more than .25” is a 1” deduction. The same deduction applies to any fish whose mouth cannot be determined to clearly be touching the fence of the Hawg Trough.
- KBF has clarified its rules regarding PFD type as well as the size/type of permissible paddlecraft. Please review those rules as well.
- Anglers will sign liability waivers once again at Hyco, and thereafter check a box online at Tourneyx. You can print, read, sign and bring the waiver to the event. Waivers are on the CKA site here
KBF has clarified many rules and changed others. Please review them. CKA rules addenda and a link to KBF rules are at this link: http://www.carolinakayakanglers.com/?page_id=38
CKA judges and directors enforce every rule. We do so by communicating directly with anglers, so please check your phones occasionally during competition time. We understand that mistakes happen but we cannot accommodate any request to correct an error once photo submission deadlines have passed. Our goal is to provide a safe, fair series for all kayak anglers in our sport. Thank you.
Don’t forget: we launch at Hyco in 1 week! Sign up here!
Sincerely, the CKA Staff
Larry, Henry, Wayne, Ralph and Ron
The 2018 Tournament of Champions has been re-designed to reward CKA anglers with an exclusive tournament experience against a field of the CKA’s top anglers. On a weekend in mid-October, the qualifiers will meet on a lake for a 2 day event. CKA will provide first day prizes, accommodations for the 10 anglers who make the day 2 cut, and a host of other prizes. One angler will be crowned the champion on day 2 and will receive a custom trophy for the event as well as cash and other prizes.
- The 2017 Angler of the Year (P.C. Hawj)
- 2018 Angler of the Year (Determined at the Gate City Classic)
- 2018 Rookie of the Year (Highest rookie AOY score)
- (8) 2018 Tournament Winners (t.b.d.)
- Places 2-15 in Angler of the Year Standings (t.b.d.)
In sum, we anticipate the field to include 25-30 anglers.
***Double qualifier spots will roll down in the AOY Standings list***
When: October 13-14, 2018
Cost: Free Entry (Optional Big Bass $10.00)
Where: Lake will be announced in summer of 2018.
Format: 5 fish daily limit, full field competes Day One.
Top Ten advance to Day Two.
Day 2 Anglers are guaranteed prizes.
Saturday Night accommodations provided by CKA for Day 2 Anglers.
CKA will continue to use Tourney X to judge tournament photographs for the 2018 season. This is a great website and very easy to use. Consulting with kayak anglers year round, TourneyX continually improves its functions. There are a few changes to be aware of on the site/app. These include:
- Option to upload fish to multiple events at once
- Select CKA as the club you represent (you can find the list under “Clubs” in the main menu)
If you are a new angler, practice using the site, and even if you are a veteran angler please familiarize yourself with the new features. Please review the information below. If there are still questions, ask CKA staff (or join the TourneyX group on Facebook).
What is it?
TourneyX is a website and app (the app is free) for live check in of fish caught in Catch-Photo-Release (CPR) tournaments. You can download the app or save the home page to your phone for easy access. Anglers catch a fish, take a photo of it on their board (with ID) and upload it to the site for live scoring.
What does it cost and what are the benefits?
Read more “Setting up your TourneyX account and Submitting Catch Photos”