As we announced a few months ago, CKA will honor the Rookie of the Year in 2018. This award will go to the highest ranked 1st year angler in the series based on the aggregate of his or her 4 best event scores. In addition to other prizes the CKA 2018 Rookie of the Year will also receive an invite to the 2-day Tournament of Champions in mid-October.
We were very excited to see so many 1st time anglers sign up for the tournament at Hyco. It was great to meet so many new people interested in the sport and the CKA series. We hope to see more new folks in the mix as the season unfolds, too.
We will periodically update and publish the ROY standings. Here are the current Rookie Of The Year standings after Hyco. If you had a tough 1st event, remember that if you fish 5 events your bottom score is automatically dropped!
We’ll see you at Lake Hickory on March 31st!
|Graham Reay ( R )
|Mark Wilkins ( R )
|John Stone ( R )
|Anthony Brinkley ( R )
|Mike Wimmer ( R )
|Keith McGee ( R )
|Terry Wheeler Jr ( R )
|Bernie Garrett ( R )
|Ker Xiong ( R )
|Ryan Freeman ( R )
|Lee Payne ( R )
|Brandon Bertovich ( R )
|Travis Bevill ( R )
|James Blackburn ( R )
|Brad Clayton ( R )
|Eric Garcia-Ochoa ( R )
|Kayla Ingram ( R )
|Matt Kaufmann ( R )
|Josh Lewis ( R )
|Chris Morris ( R )
|JEREMY SMITH ( R )
|Tony Tant ( R )
|David Truban ( R )
CKA Tournament #2
March 31, 2018
Welcome anglers to the 2nd CKA tournament of the 2018 season and thanks again to all who participated at Lake Hyco last month!
Our 2nd tournament of the season will be held on March 31st on Lake Hickory, a 4200 acre lake on the Catawba River chain. Hickory proved to be a surprise last season when we fished it for the first time on our tournament trail. The lake gave up several large limits during the post-spawn period and many anglers expressed an interest in fishing it again. So let’s see how it fishes during the pre-spawn/early spawn phase of the season. Let’s also see if CKA Tournament Director Wayne Butler – the only CKA staff member to ever win a single angler event – can defend his Hickory crown from last season or top the 58.5” limit he posted!
- This is a Multi Launch event (the 5 ramps listed below are the only legal launches).
- Anglers are to remain within 30 yards of the launch area prior to the 6:45am start time. Anglers may have kayaks in the water but will not be permitted to leave early to get to fishing areas.
- Blank identifiers will be available for print approximately one week prior to the event (we recommend printing a few extras).
- Unique identifier CODE will be released Friday 3/30 after 9:00pm EST. We will provide instructions at that time how to populate the identifier.
- TourneyX sign up will be cutoff on Friday 3/30 at 10:00pm EST.
- This will be the season’s first multi-launch event, so budget time for travel from your launch to check in. Remember you must be present at the Wittenburg check in by 3:15 pm.
- Photographs will not be uploaded after that time, manually or otherwise.
TourneyX Sign Up: https://tourneyx.com/app/tourney/cka-2018-event-2-lake-hickory
||$50.00 Entry (includes H.O.W, TourneyX, Big Fish fees)
||March 31st 2018
||3 fish (8” minimum). Hawg Trough measure required.
|Check in/Photo upload ends
||Check in Address: Wittenburg Landing 193-229 Wildlife Access Rd. Hickory, NC 28601
5450 Hurricane Hill Road
Granite Falls, NC 28630
5682 Rocky Mount Rd
Granite Falls, NC 28630
3. Wittenburg Landing
175 Wildlife Access Rd
Hickory, NC 28601
4. Dusty Ridge
508 Dusty Ridge Access Rd
Taylorsville, NC 28681
1874 Claude Rd
Claremont, NC 28610
The 2018 Tournament of Champions has been re-designed to reward CKA anglers with an exclusive tournament experience against a field of the CKA’s top anglers. On a weekend in mid-October, the qualifiers will meet on a lake for a 2 day event. CKA will provide first day prizes, accommodations for the 10 anglers who make the day 2 cut, and a host of other prizes. One angler will be crowned the champion on day 2 and will receive a custom trophy for the event as well as cash and other prizes.
- The 2017 Angler of the Year (P.C. Hawj)
- 2018 Angler of the Year (Determined at the Gate City Classic)
- 2018 Rookie of the Year (Highest rookie AOY score)
- (8) 2018 Tournament Winners (t.b.d.)
- Places 2-15 in Angler of the Year Standings (t.b.d.)
In sum, we anticipate the field to include 25-30 anglers.
***Double qualifier spots will roll down in the AOY Standings list***
When: October 13-14, 2018
Cost: Free Entry (Optional Big Bass $10.00)
Where: Lake will be announced in summer of 2018.
Format: 5 fish daily limit, full field competes Day One.
Top Ten advance to Day Two.
Day 2 Anglers are guaranteed prizes.
Saturday Night accommodations provided by CKA for Day 2 Anglers.
First of all, we extend congratulations to P.C. Hawj, the 2017 Angler of the Year! By winning two consecutive events in June and July, P.C. won the A.O.Y. title and prizes, which included a new Jackson Cuda HD, a new Bending Branches Ace paddle, a new YakAttack BlackPak, and a $500 Get Outdoors gift card. For more information about his season follow the link to the AOY 2017 page on our website.
Congratulations also to the anglers who qualified for the Tournament of Champions at Lake Norman! (We will post event info and sign up links tomorrow).
Click on the link below to see also the CKA top 25, the final regular season standings follow, and to access the full record of individual events on TourneyX.
Thanks to all who competed this season and to all of our sponsors!
AOY 2017 & Top 25
CKA Tournament 8
The Gate City Classic
Multi-Lake Kayak Fishing Tournament
September 30th, 2017
Hi everyone, and get ready for the Gate City Classic! As many of you know, the Classic is when we celebrate our season with fishing and food and announce the AOY. A number of prizes, qualifications and details are also determined on this final day of the regular season. They include:
- AOY winner. The CKA Angler of the Year wins a Jackson Cuda HD, Yak Attack Black Pak, a Bending Branches paddle and a $500 Get:Outdoors gift certificate
- Five KBF National Championship slots,
- The kayak raffle winner (every angler has one entry for each tournament he or she fished). If you fished even a single event this season, you could win a Native Slayer Propel 13!
- The final standings for the top 25 anglers who will proceed to the Tournament of Champions of October .
- Location selection for the Tournament of Champions. The lake is drawn after the Classic and Final standings are announced.
This is a multi-lake event. All details are below:
Read more “Gate City Classic 2017”