Tournament of Champions
October 21-22, 2017
The Tournament of Champions pits the top 25 anglers in the CKA final regular season standings against each other to determine a winner in this final tournament round of the season. Last year’s championship tournament crowned Denny Romero the winner, and like that event, this is a winner-take-all event: the 1st place finisher will win the entire prize purse. Yes, 2nd and 3rd place will also win prizes, but there is only one cash purse to win and it is the total sum of all entry fees minus the big bass pot. This year’s Tournament of Champions will take place on Lake Norman, and so the 2017 CKA season will come full circle to end where it began.
About the lake:
For those who did not fish the February CKA event, Lake Norman is fed from the north by the Catawba River, and its 520 miles of shoreline with average depths of 33 ft. and clear water will present a dynamic challenge for anglers. The upper end (where we will launch) has many structural features such as boat docks, submerged brushpiles, rock piles and long points that invite many different styles of fishing. Since this is a fall event, bass will be following different feeding patterns than those we encountered at our late winter event. In short – whether you fish for schooling bass chasing shad or bass gravitating to structure, the entire lake will present diverse fishing options.
Notes about the format:
- This is a two day tournament. The first day begins on Saturday, October 21st; the event ends on Sunday, October 22nd. If you do not live close to the lake, you may wish to find local camping or hotel accommodations.
- The event is a 3/2 format. The aggregate of your 3 longest fish from Saturday and your two longest fish from Sunday will determine your total score.
Read more “The CKA 2017 Tournament of Champions”
First of all, we extend congratulations to P.C. Hawj, the 2017 Angler of the Year! By winning two consecutive events in June and July, P.C. won the A.O.Y. title and prizes, which included a new Jackson Cuda HD, a new Bending Branches Ace paddle, a new YakAttack BlackPak, and a $500 Get Outdoors gift card. For more information about his season follow the link to the AOY 2017 page on our website.
Congratulations also to the anglers who qualified for the Tournament of Champions at Lake Norman! (We will post event info and sign up links tomorrow).
Click on the link below to see also the CKA top 25, the final regular season standings follow, and to access the full record of individual events on TourneyX.
Thanks to all who competed this season and to all of our sponsors!
AOY 2017 & Top 25
CKA Tournament 8
The Gate City Classic
Multi-Lake Kayak Fishing Tournament
September 30th, 2017
Hi everyone, and get ready for the Gate City Classic! As many of you know, the Classic is when we celebrate our season with fishing and food and announce the AOY. A number of prizes, qualifications and details are also determined on this final day of the regular season. They include:
- AOY winner. The CKA Angler of the Year wins a Jackson Cuda HD, Yak Attack Black Pak, a Bending Branches paddle and a $500 Get:Outdoors gift certificate
- Five KBF National Championship slots,
- The kayak raffle winner (every angler has one entry for each tournament he or she fished). If you fished even a single event this season, you could win a Native Slayer Propel 13!
- The final standings for the top 25 anglers who will proceed to the Tournament of Champions of October .
- Location selection for the Tournament of Champions. The lake is drawn after the Classic and Final standings are announced.
This is a multi-lake event. All details are below:
Read more “Gate City Classic 2017”
Hi everyone, and thank you to all those who attended the Shearon Harris event ten days ago. We have more news to post in the coming days and weeks, but for now – the updated Angler of the Year standings are up!
You can see the new rankings in the pdf file attachment beneath this paragraph. We have fished 7 tournament events this season and your lowest score was culled. This has created additional movement on the board, as anglers who did well at Shearon Harris advanced several places, while another restored his lead. The race is not yet finished but it has tightened up near the top. Remember that qualification remains open for the CKA Tournament of Champions, so a spot in the top 25 remains within reach for many anglers.
Click on file for CKA AOY update (August 7, 2017): CKA AOY Standings 08072017
Additionally. Mr. Butler has updated the “Big Bass” lake, limit and angler stats. As you can see below, Harris surpassed Falls (and nearly caught Randleman) for the number of big bass the lake gave up, Harris fish took 3 of the top 5 big bass slots, and we have a new top limit as well.
Read more “August CKA AOY Update”
Hello everyone and thanks again to all of the anglers who recently fished at Randleman on both the CKA and KBF Trail event sides of the board (or both!). We are posting the CKA AOY update file (see below). Note that the leader position has been overtaken!
We are also including here the latest installment of “CKA by the numbers” courtesy of Mr. Butler. It includes tournament attendance stats, lakes by number of 20″ fish caught and lists of the top limits and bass caught to this point.
- 151 different Anglers have competed in CKA events this season.
- 364 total anglers have competed in CKA events this season.
- CKA events average 61 anglers per event
- 42 bass > 20” have been submitted and accepted to CKA events.
- Below is a list of how many were landed at each lake we have fished:
- Norman = 0
- Falls = 12
- Jordan = 8
- Hickory = 2
- Badin = 1
- Randleman = 19
Read more “CKA AOY update July 2017”