CKA established the Tournament of Champions in 2016 to provide an end-of-season event for the top anglers on our trail. Fun and prizes are the event’s focus. Denny Romero won that inaugural 1-day event on the Yadkin River and Melvin Yang won last year’s expanded 2-day event at Lake Norman (for a short history, click here).
This year’s event (October 13 & 14) will again expand and improve the tournament. First, it will be a best 10 fish event (5/5 over two days). Second, it will be held on a lake the CKA has not fished this season (we will announce the lake at the Gate City Classic). Third, the field will expand slightly: in addition to the top 25, winners of individual events, the AOY and ROY will qualify (we also awarded a spot to the winner of the Bass event at the Boonedox Yadkin Slam).
Finally, a new expanded range of prizes have been organized. It includes:
$1,000 guaranteed for 1st place
An additional $1,000 in cash prizes spread out over the field (days 1 & 2)*
Free overnight camping accommodations for the top 10
Sponsor product giveaways
A Custom engraved trophy, designed by artist Ross Myer (FL) at Bass Trophies.
Read more “CKA Tournament of Champions Prizes and Format”
The 2018 Tournament of Champions has been re-designed to reward CKA anglers with an exclusive tournament experience against a field of the CKA’s top anglers. On a weekend in mid-October, the qualifiers will meet on a lake for a 2 day event. CKA will provide first day prizes, accommodations for the 10 anglers who make the day 2 cut, and a host of other prizes. One angler will be crowned the champion on day 2 and will receive a custom trophy for the event as well as cash and other prizes.
- The 2017 Angler of the Year (P.C. Hawj)
- 2018 Angler of the Year (Determined at the Gate City Classic)
- 2018 Rookie of the Year (Highest rookie AOY score)
- (8) 2018 Tournament Winners (t.b.d.)
- Places 2-15 in Angler of the Year Standings (t.b.d.)
In sum, we anticipate the field to include 25-30 anglers.
***Double qualifier spots will roll down in the AOY Standings list***
When: October 13-14, 2018
Cost: Free Entry (Optional Big Bass $10.00)
Where: Lake will be announced in summer of 2018.
Format: 5 fish daily limit, full field competes Day One.
Top Ten advance to Day Two.
Day 2 Anglers are guaranteed prizes.
Saturday Night accommodations provided by CKA for Day 2 Anglers.
January 2018 CKA Newsletter
This post address a number of different additions and changes we will implement with CKA for the 2018 season. Topics include payouts, registration fees, the new Rookie of the Year prize, operational costs and the revised Tournament of Champions format. While each change is unique, they are also interdependent.
First, CKA has adjusted its payout format on several occasions over the years. It has done so in order to account for several factors, including the growing popularity of the series as well as to balance sponsor giveaways with cash prizes. Additionally, CKA always considers feedback from the anglers who participate in the series. We listened last season and came up with a solution that was as close as possible to what anglers requested. In these ways and others, the payout update below is no different from past changes. Here are the major points:
- CKA will pay out more places at each 2018 event. Last season we paid out 10% of the field, or 1 in 10 spots. This season we will pay out deeper into the field, or roughly 1 in 8 spots. For example, we average 58 anglers per event 2017. At an average 2017 event, we paid 5 spots. This season, that will be 8 spots at a 58 angler event (58 being our average attendance). Big Bass payouts will continue for each tournament.
- In 2018, the 2-day Tournament of Champions will have a new priority as the culminating event of our season. The new payout structure makes this possible. Please stay tuned for a follow up post with all of the details pertaining to this exciting event, but as it stands, we are budgeting to make it a “free” event so that qualifying anglers will only pay a nominal Tourneyx fee.
- CKA will continue to donate to H.O.W. but we have restructured contributions to increase tournament payouts.
- CKA will deduct a small amount from each registration fee to cover operating costs. As CKA has grown, tournament directors have paid out of pocket for many costs including user Paypal fees, payments to Tourney X, merchandise advances, compensation of judges and equipment purchases. Rather than ask anglers to pay a membership fee, we will deduct
- For the first time in our existence, one new CKA angler will be crowned Rookie of the Year. Details to follow but we are excited about seeing new anglers compete for this title.
During this off season, all four tournament directors debated the best way to sustain the series, expand payouts, maintain charity commitments and reward anglers. We consulted anglers and discussed with series sponsors. It was a long process with one goal in mind: to improve the rewards to anglers. This was our solution, and we hope you will find it reasonable. Thank you for your support.