At the end of every season, the CKA hosts a bonus tournament for its top competitors. Last year, Melvin Yang won the 2017 crown at Lake Norman and the year before that it was Denny Romero on the Yadkin River. Who will be this year’s champion?
What follows is a timeline for the tournament, a list of anglers who qualified/accepted roll down spots and a map showing the check-in spot. We hope the trophies will be shipped in time, but we can assure you, the other prizes are ready!
Read more “The 2018 CKA Tournament of Champions”
What’s up everyone? Here are a few important updates for the Gate City Classic:
- ID Code: For CKA anglers, we will release the ID code at 8 pm on Friday night, following the non-mandatory Captains Meeting. There will be no ID card – write it on your hand or a card.
- Tournament fee: If you have not yet done so, please pay your CKA registration fee to Get Outdoors at this link: https://shopgetoutdoors.com/products/cka-gate-city-classic-kayak-fishing-tournament. If you don’t pay before event begins, your catches will be disqualified.
- Food: Additionally, we will be collecting $5 a head for food. We did not include it in the registration fee (as we did in years past), but if you plan to eat Saturday, bring cash. This applies to KBF Trail participants as well.
- The Classic hours: these remain unchanged: 7 am (lines in ) – 3 pm (lines out. Please ignore any other posts on other sites indicating other times.
- Launch Openings: As all of our posts have noted, we cannot control the gate schedule at nearly a dozen different launches. We can’t control all the variables. Here is what we know: the ramp at Randleman SW Park will open early (6 am), and the Guilford ramp at Mackintosh will also open earlier than the scheduled 7:30 October time (we don’t have a precise time). If you wish to fish a certain lake, talk to the lake managers and see what they can do. Some will open early to kayak anglers but charge a small group fee. If that is the case, everyone who shows up to fish the event must be allowed in. Communicate, get organized, and talk with the lake managers.
- KBF Trail: Yes, AOY points will be awarded.
Tournament Directors will be at Get Outdoors on Friday evening from 6-7:30 pm. Come by, browse for last minute kayak fishing needs, pick up KBF ID cards, and participate in the Captains Meeting.
Thanks for fishing with us, and we look forward to seeing everyone at the event!
Ralph, Larry, Wayne, Hank and Ron