CKA Tournament #3
May 4, 2019
High Rock Lake
CKA Tournament #3 takes us to High Rock Lake, a tournament favorite on many kayak and boat circuits. From its river-fed northern end to the deeper waters in its southern pool, High Rock is a diverse fishery loaded with bass and structure. CKA fished it last spring for the first time and anglers wanted to return, so this year we coordinated with Boonedox for an event loaded with door prizes, food and a great charitable cause – the Foundation for Fighting Blindness.
Our CKA event coincides with the Boonedox Yadkin Slam event this season. The Yadkin Slam is an annual charity event with separate Bass, Crappie and Catfish divisions. There are separate youth and adult divisions, so this is a great time to bring kids out to fish. For anglers that fish both events, certain rules have been modified, so carefully review the rules below. Before we proceed to those details, we encourage all anglers to register for both events even if they do not plan to fish the Yadkin Slam, because the Yadkin Slam event prize money goes to a worthy cause and registration includes a great gift bag. Boonedox is a CKA sponsor, so let’s put our charitable generosity on full display!
Please remember to sign up as early as possible so that Boonedox can put in its jersey order – yes, registration includes an event jersey!
The following event rules modify existing rules. Otherwise all standard rules apply:
- Use of electric motors is suspended for this event for anglers who will submit fish to both the CKA tournament and Yadkin Slam. If you plan to only fish the CKA event, motors are permitted. We understand this may appear to put some combined CKA/Yadkin Slam anglers at a disadvantage, but our policy remains “motors don’t catch fish.” If you use a motor and plan to fish both events, you will have to provide proof of disability to Boonedox, per the Yadkin Slam event policy.
- The use of live bait is prohibited in the CKA event but permitted in the Yadkin Slam event. If you catch a Largemouth Bass on live bait you may not submit it to the CKA event board. This rule did not create problems for anglers who fished both events last year (when the Yadkin Slam was combined with a KBF Trail event). We do not anticipate a problem this year, but evidence of live bait use will result in automatic disqualification from the CKA event, as it applies in the rules standard, and also disqualification from all future events. In sum, if you fish both events you may use live bait while fishing for crappie and catfish in the Yadkin Slam, but if you catch a bass on live bait it cannot be submitted to the CKA leaderboard.
- This is a Multi Launch event; any publicly accessible ramp may be used.
- Anglers may place kayaks in the water but may not begin paddling to spots prior to the 6 am launch time. Anglers may have kayaks in the water but will not be permitted to leave before 6 am to get to fishing areas.
- Blank CKA identifiers will be available on Tourneyx on Monday prior to the event (we recommend printing a few extras).
- Unique identifier codes will be released Friday 5/3 after 8:00pm EST on the CKA social media (Facebook, IG and Twitter). We will provide instructions at that time for how to populate the identifier.
- TourneyX sign up will close on Friday 5/3 at 9:00pm EST.
- High Rock is a big lake. Budget time for travel from your launch to check in. Remember you must be present at check in by 4:00 pm.
Boonedox Slam registration: https://boonedoxusa.com/collections/boonedox-yadkin-slam/products/boonedox-yadkin-slam
CKA Tournament Registration: https://tourneyx.com/app/tourney/cka-2019-eenet-3-high-rock
Remember: All CKA Tournaments are 2020 KBF National Championship Qualifying Events, but you must be a KBF member prior to the CKA event.
|Sign up||Tourneyx ($5)|
|Fee||$50.00 Entry (includes H.O.W, Big Fish fees)|
|Event Date||May 4th, 2019|
|Format||3 fish (8” minimum).|
|Mandatory Captains Meeting||6:30 pm, Friday May 3rd at Rock Outdoors or 5:30 am, Saturday May 4th at Rock Outdoors|
|Lines in||6:30 am|
|Lines Out||2:30 pm|
|Photo upload cutoff||3:00 pm|
|Check-in Deadline||4:00 pm|
|Check in Address||Rock Outdoors
7440 NC-8, Lexington, NC 27292
The following are some of the public launches at High Rock. Note however that if you launch from York Hill, you may not fish water north of I-85. You must fish south/east, toward the lake.
899 Wildlife Recreation Area Access Rd, Lexington, NC 27292
Flat Swamp Creek
16646 NC-8, Denton, NC 27239
Dutch Second creek
10799-10895 Bringle Ferry Rd, Salisbury, NC 28146
9120 Bringle Ferry Rd, Salisbury, NC 28146
2882 Holloway Church Rd, Lexington, NC 27292
York Hill Boat Access (Must fish south of I-85; waters North of I-85 are off limits)
Trading Ford Way, Linwood, NC