54 anglers competed in event #3 at High Rock Lake. High Rock fished very well this year, producing limits for more than half the field. In the end, the ROY race tightened up and new names appeared on the rookie roster, 3 more CKA anglers qualified for the KBF 2020 National Championship and Guntersville, an additional $280 was raised for Heroes on the Water and many anglers also competed in the Boonedox Yadkin Slam, where CKA angler Joey Sullivan won the Bass Division.
Pairing the event with the Boonedox Yadkin Slam proved to be a success, too. Rock Outdoors generously hosted CKA and NCKFA anglers, and as in previous years, the Slam sponsors such as Get Outdoors stepped up with a stunning selection of door prizes and angler prizes.
We should note that for the first time in CKA history, an angler won the Big Bass prize in 2 of 3 events. Joey Sullivan’s two winning fish (a 24” and 21.75”) add up to a 45.75” total, a number we doubt anyone will touch for some time. If we add in the 21” fish he landed at Jordan Lake in event 2, that equals a 66.75” 3 best-fish limit in 3 events.
Looking ahead, on June 1st we return to Lake Tuckertown for the 1st time in 4 years. If you want to keep your AOY/ROY points, that will be the last chance to pay the $20 fee for the year.
Thank you to Tim Parks and Boonedox for being an excellent sponsor for our club and this event, and thank you also to Bending Branches, Yak Attack, Get:Outdoors, Cal Coast Fishing, Zee Bait Co. and On the Water Innovations, too!
- Joey Sullivan 57” & Zeee Bait Co. Lunker Length Bass 22.75”
& 1st Place Bass Division Boonedox Yadkin Slam
- Austin Vang 55.75”
- James Wevers 55.25” (Qualifies for 2020 KBF National Championship)
- Kou Yang 54.75” (Qualifies for 2020 KBF National Championship)
- Matt Dunn 54.50” (Qualifies for 2020 KBF National Championship)
- Shelly Efird 54.25″
- Sammy Wilson 53”
While our Lake Hickory event (March 31) is next on the Trail schedule, the CKA Directors are always looking at opportunities for anglers to participate in additional events. This year we are excited to announce that we have paired with Kayak Bass Series (KBS) to offer (1) live event that will coincide with the CKA Event at High Rock Lake in April and (6) online events throughout 2018. If you pay the membership fee (not required for participation), you can enter the KBS AOY standings for the chance to fish the year end KBS Classic on the infamous Lake Fork in Texas.
- KBS events will be judged using TourneyX and you can cross submit CKA fish at High Rock to the KBS board
- Online events are $25 and the High Rock Live Event is $50.
- There is a membership fee of $50 if you choose to compete for the Classic invite but it is not required.
- AOY Score will consist of one KBS Qualifying event and your best 3 Online events (Membership Required).
- Sign Up for events can be found at https://tourneyx.com/app/category/(kbs)-kayak-bass-series/
- 3/24 – ONLINE #1 SPRING BASS BLUES (KBF National Contenders can also participate)
- 4/7 – ONLINE #2 BLOOMING APRIL BASS
- 4/14 – LIVE EVENT / HIGH ROCK LAKE (this is concurrent with the CKA event)
- 5/5 – ONLINE #3 SIZE IS EVERYTHING
- 5/26 – ONLINE #4 HOT SUMMER BASS
- 8/11 – ONLINE #5 ONE PLUS ONE = TWO
- 9/8 – ONLINE #6 BIG AND SMALL
Remember that Manley Fishing, a company affiliated with KBS, has also provided eight certificates for rods for us to give away at each CKA Event this season, so please sign up and thank them for their generosity! For more info, see the links below:
Looking ahead, our anglers are preparing for the KBF National Championship and pre-fishing for CKA on Lake Hickory. We will post more on these events soon.
Larry, Henry, Wayne, Ralph and Ron