Shearon Harris Lake, NC
March 21, 2020
6 years have passed since CKA kicked off a tournament season at legendary Shearon Harris Reservoir. 2014 was the first full season of CKA events, and we have fished the lake once every season since then – except for last season. Now we return.
Shearon Harris is a small lake that fishes big. Many of you know it well and fish it hard, and year round. But it is an unforgiving lake and one that changes dramatically from day to day. But during the spring it can deliver the limit of a lifetime.
Which lake will show up this season – the one that only produced 5 limits in 2018, or the lake that produced more than ten 3-fish limits over 60” in 2016? Let’s find out as we begin our season on the best big bass fishery in the region!
Of course, we will fish the lake during a difficult time. CKA will follow CDC recommendations to make gatherings /sporting events “virtual” until the current crisis passes. As such, the standard meet-up check in is modified as follows, as well as other elements of the event:
- All of the announced times and ramps remain the same. Anglers will launch, fish and upload catches as usual.
- The post event check in at Harris County Park is cancelled because the park has retracted all permits. We will still hold the tournament but without post-event check in.
- Anglers must use the “check in/out” function on your TourneyX dashboard.
- We will hold the awards ceremony, with trophy presentations, at the next event when check-in will be less of a concern. Door prizes will also be withheld until the next event.
- We will make an announcement about member fee collection later on. Our primary concern now is to manage logistics and get everyone out fishing safely.
In other words, the situation requires that the event will be run like an on-line event. Given our experience running those we don’t see any problems. We will miss the camaraderie of the check in scene but we all need to get out and fish. The pre-spawn bite is on, Harris is putting up giant bags, so let’s adapt and have fun.
A few reminders:
- CKA has streamlined sign up and payment system for the 2020 season. All tournament fees are now through TourneyX.
- CKA has expanded to a 5 fish limit per event (8” minimum length).
- CKA will again collect member fees for the 2020 season ($20). We will post an update about virtual payment soon, and anglers will retain points when they pay. No points will be deleted so as to provide time to anglers to pay.
- CKA has a new payout structure. See website for details.
If you are new to the Trail, welcome aboard and good luck in the Rookie of the Year race. If you are a CKA regular then you know the battle for Angler of the Year will be long and fun as you fish against some of the best competition in the entire country.